The Franciscan 

March 2005 

St Francis of Assisi Parish Newsletter


St Francis of Assisi Anglican Church, 373 Milner Street, Waterkloof, 0181 Tel. 012-346 1106/7, Fax: 346 4226.
Clergy: Fr Timothy Lowes, Robin Heath, June de Klerk
Deacons: Martzi Eidelberg, Liz Horne (children's chaplain)


Only one edition of The Franciscan was published in 2004 – we hope to do better in 2005. Our thanks go those who submitted articles. Some of you did so a long time ago – thank you for your patience. Please continue to send us your contributions. 

The picture on the front cover is of a statue of St Francis in Assisi, Italy. This photo and many others of Assisi can be found at the following website: Go to this site for a virtual visit of the town.

Jill Daugherty (Ed)

Letter from the Rector

My dear Parishioners

Easter is a seminal moment in the life of the Church and the Faithful – and as good a time as any (perhaps even the very best) for us to examine (re-examine our journey of faith) in the light of the glorious Resurrection.  Is it simply to be business as usual (now that the season has run its course) or are we determined to continue our pilgrimage?  Only you and I can answer that – but because prayer is a vital part of that journey I thought I’d include a few thoughts and (hopefully) some insights on the topic, which you may find useful.   

Much of it will not be new or unusual – but my prayer is that it may be beneficial in some way. For each of us this will be a different journey – but the journey is imperative if a spiritual life of any substance is to be achieved and maintained. 

Brother Roger of Taize said: “Sometimes prayer is an inner struggle.  Sometimes it is simply surrendering our whole being to God in silence, with no word.”   (There’s a lovely story told of an old French peasant who sat for hours in his parish pew, seemingly doing nothing.  When asked by his parish priest what he was doing, the old peasant simply pointed to the crucifix suspended above the High Altar and announced matter-of-factly “I look at Him and He looks at me, and we are happy together.”)   

Yes indeed, Prayer cannot be “contained”, for whenever the “definitive” book or article on prayer appears, sooner rather later, the next “definitive” batch arrive.  We should not be surprised at this because God cannot and will not be “tied down” - though we’d prefer that because then He’d do things “our way” and of course, as we all know, our way is the right way! Remember, the Living Christ dwells in his disciples – “you are in me and I in you” (John 14:20) – and what this means, among other things, is that he prays within us, so what matters therefore is not “my” prayer but his. 

Personal prayer was one of Christ’s precious gifts to his disciples – but we have to hear what he says and not what we think he should have said or what we imagine or wish he had said.  “Lord I want” or “Lord you must” are not good prayers.  Bishop Leslie Stradling (Johannesburg) once described Prayer as a “homing instinct” – it is that inner voice (of prayer), which wills us to want to return and communicate with our Creator, however far we have wandered away.   

Much of our understanding and practice of prayer is taken from the life and teaching of Jesus.   So let us learn from the Master.   Firstly, prayer initially involves commitment.  Much is made of Jesus personal and private prayers (we read how he took himself “apart” to pray), but the only reason he was equipped to do so was because his practice was to be faithful in public and corporate prayer.   Jesus was not a self-contained “little holy huddle”.  In the midst of his private prayers he went to the synagogue faithfully every Sabbath – and this regardless of the hostility he encountered there and no doubt (at times) long, uninspiring addresses (yes, I know your sympathies go out to him).

So prayer is not about a private, inward journey only.  This can only happen (in a healthy way) when our journey of faith (and prayer) is rooted in outward faithfulness as well.

 Secondly, Jesus’ devotion to prayer meant that he was not bound to “appropriate” times and places.  Of course he prayed twice a day, but there were also times when he prayed ALL NIGHT (before making big decisions).  For years I insisted on praying “on my knees” only – because that was the “correct thing to do”.  Truth was, I’m distinctly uncomfortable on my knees, and discovered years after praying (miserably) in the “appropriate way”, that sitting was a wonderful (happy) position in which to pray.  My prayer life took on new meaning.  We must be spontaneous and real in our prayer life.

 Thirdly, Jesus shows us that the purpose of prayer is not mercenary i.e. to obtain something for ourselves.  We pray because in this way we get to know God better.  To be with Him and so to love Him.  We love God because He first loved us.  We pray as a means of drawing closer to God for God’s sake and not for what we can get out of Him.

 Fourthly, we must avoid praying without thinking, and saying prayers instead of praying them.  Our prayers must be real and we are to be personally involved in Him.  Jesus never “babbled like (the) pagans” when he prayed (Mt 6:7).

 And finally, Jesus taught us never to lose heart in our prayers or to give up.  He taught and knew that the fullness of prayer is to put ourselves into the Father’s presence and stay there – by His Grace.  We are to be watchful and faithful and devote ourselves to prayer (Col. 4:2)

 May God grant you a glorious Easter and a continued fruitful and happy life of prayer.

Fr Timothy

Celebration of an Entente cordiale: 1944 – 2004

 These last few days have been fantastic, incredible, and I must record it all before I forget any of it.

 But first, so you know what this is all about, I have to go back to what happened 60 years ago. My Uncle Trafford, Air Chief Marshal Sir Trafford Leigh-Mallory, who had commanded the Allied Air Forces for operation Overlord, the D-day landings in France, and had at his disposal some 11000 planes, bombers and fighters, had been appointed to take on a similar job in command of the Allied Air Forces of the South East Asia command, which it was expected would finally invade the Japanese homeland.

 So one day in November 1944, he left, with his wife, Lady Doris, and a large load of the family’s household goods – bed linen, blankets, all their clothing, crockery, cutlery, etc., etc. They were to fly in an Avro York, then considered one of the most modern and best passenger aircraft. The route selected allowed for landings at Naples, Baghdad, Bangadore, on their way to Kandy, Ceylon (now Sri Lanka), where he would establish his headquarters.

 The Avro York C1            

The plane took off from Northolt Airport, had a Spitfire escort into France, and just disappeared!

On that day, soon after noon, villagers at Le Rivier d’Allemont heard a plane in the clouds, heard the noise of increased engine power, and then silence followed by the light of a blaze reflected from the clouds. They tried to reach what they feared must be a crashed plane, but could not manage to get through the 2 metre deep snow which the storm had deposited. After that the police and then the army were forced to give up the search for fear of an avalanche.

It was the following June, eight months later, that a farmer from the village, who had gone up the mountain looking for grazing for his sheep, discovered the wreckage of the York and the eight dead bodies – my Uncle Trafford and Aunt Doris, the pilot, the navigator, the wireless operator, my uncle’s personal steward and two fitters.

Obviously the find was reported to the British. I believe my uncle’s daughter, by then married to an American airman, assented to the burial of her parents at the village so near the crash site. So it was arranged. The village took these tragically killed airmen to their hearts, gave them a proper burial in their village graveyard. Later the Commonwealth War Graves Commission put up beautiful headstones on each of the graves.

It seems to me the RAF failed to ensure that the families of all those who had died knew the location of these graves. It was many years before one of them found it, and set about trying to contact family members of all those who had been killed in the crash.

After much hard work, in August 1966, there was a function attended by some relative of all eight of them. Many walked from the village to the crash site – 15 km away and up 700 m – others were taken up by helicopter. A plaque was made bearing all the names of those killed and fixed to a rock at the crash site, and I have no doubt there was some service of remembrance at the cemetery.

I had the opportunity to visit Le Rivier and the cemetery there in June 2003, while staying with my niece, Anne Spencer and her husband, Bob, near Geneva. I was deeply moved by what I saw. I met the son of the man who discovered the crash. It was incredible. Fifty-nine years after the discovery of the crash, the villagers still wished to remember and honour those who had died on that mountain.

During the last week in September 2004, I received from Anne in Geneva a copy of an invitation she had received to  attend a 60th year remembrance of that crash. I just felt I was meant to be there on 17 October.

I won’t bore you with details of the overnight flights from South Africa to Zurich and the trains from there to Grenoble, where I met by Jean François Durand, who was the man who had organised the event. When we reached the hotel in Allemont that Thursday night, I was delighted to find many of the English people coming to the ceremony already there, and over the next two days began to get to know them. On the Friday one of the families invited me to join them driving up beyond Le Rivier to see the snow at the top of the pass. Yes! The first winter snow covered the mountains all around. On our way up we met two farmers bringing their sheep down to lower level grazing. We did not try to count them, but guessed there must have been about a thousand! At the top of the pass, the family indulged in a good old snowball fight. On Saturday Jean François took me to lunch with the Paris correspondent of the Daily Telegraph.

Sunday was the day of the function, and I met up with Anne and Bob and another cousin, Bill Newton-Dunn, who had written a biography of Uncle Trafford, Big Wing. On arrival in Le Rivier, we were taken to the Church, filled to overflowing. The overflow had the proceedings relayed to them. After the usual welcome and greeting from the priest, Bill was the first to speak, giving a brief biography of Uncle Trafford. I followed him. I don’t recall the exact words, but this is the gist of what I said:

I first had the chance to visit Le Rivier last June. I was so moved and impressed by what I saw, that when I received from my niece a copy of her invitation, I just knew I had to be here today - not just to do honour to my Uncle Trafford and Aunt Doris, but especially to convey to the people here my appreciation and thanks for what has been done here for eight foreign strangers who crashed near your village. Not only did you ensure they had a proper burial, but you have continued to care for and honour their memory, even up to this 60th year. When I think that until less than 200 years ago the English and French had been fighting each other on and off for 500 years, it is really wonderful. Now we have the European Union, a wonderful idea, but to really work it needs to be born in people’s hearts. I just praise God for what is happening here, and wish many more people in England could know about this and discover just what lovely people there are in France.

Anne then spoke in her beautiful French. There were prayers. Then we all said The Lord’s Prayer in our own language.

Next we moved to the cemetery. The temperature was about 5º C. We stood there over an hour, getting steadily colder, more so when the drizzle started! One looked out past the hundreds assembled for the occasion to the patches of snow all round. There were about 15 specially invited notables, all of whose addresses had to be translated. It really had to be, and was, a fully bilingual function, which included much wreath-laying. Unexpectedly, Bill and I were called to put flowers on the grave of Air Chief Marshal Sir Trafford Leigh-Mallory. We were each handed a rose. I left mine on Aunt Doris’ grave; she had been getting much less attention than her husband.

Later local school children laid poppies on the graves. Then, to our surprise, Anne and I were called to lay poppies. By then, after an hour’s standing in the cold and wet I only just made it to the graves and back, laying a poppy on each of Uncle’s and Aunt’s graves. At last I found somewhere I could perch and take some of the weight off my legs. For a moment I thought I was going to pass out, when my head seemed to be doing somersaults. The ceremony in the cemetery ended with the guard of honour presenting arms, the playing of the Last Post, a minute’s silence, and Reveille.

Then we were all to walk (be driven in my case) up to see the York-Mallory Museum, where there are on show photos of the crash site, of my uncle and others who died in the crash, as well as a selection of airplane and engine parts. However, I. was cold and exhausted, and when I found a room in the complex with a chair and a heater, I sat to wait for a return to normality. I told a few of the party I would stay there until the promised refreshments were on the go, and someone promised to collect me.

After more than an hour, I decided to investigate, and on my second attempt found where the refreshments were, to be told that the bus with the other visitors from Allemont had left without me, as they could not find me. But the refreshments were good and someone was found to drive me back to Allemont, my hotel, and bed, for a much-needed rest. Later Jean François picked me up for dinner at a very nice restaurant. One of those there was his mother, who told me “I was supposed to interpret for you in the church, but I was so moved by what you said, that I just could not.”

By the time I made it down to breakfast on Monday morning, the English visitors had all left, and I really missed them. Jean François kindly arranged for someone to drive me to Le Rivier to see the museum, which I had missed at the celebrations. And I was taken out to lunch and to dinner. In addition, Jean François managed to arrange for me to be met on the station platform at the Zurich Airport station, to take me to SAA check-in.

An so back home, still somewhat weary, but full of the wonder of the time there and all those 1 met. I would not have missed it all for anything! And I brought nearly all me Euros back with me. The Allemont town council covered all the hotel bills of the family members attending, and I think we must have totalled around 25.

Vive la France! Vive l’Entente cordiale, and may it continue to grow increasingly cordial!

JOHN MALLORY, 22 October 2004  

Allemont (Isère) in winter



By popular request – from the Kitchen of the Cooking Cleric – we bring you this secret family recipe.

Makes 1 medium loaf

 A quick wholewheat loaf, made almost like Irish soda bread, and which freezes well.  It tastes best eaten still slightly warm.

 375g (750 ml) wholewheat flour
140g (250ml) self-raising flour
25ml soft brown sugar
7ml salt
5ml cream of tartar
350ml milk
50ml sunflower oil
12,5ml vinegar
5ml bicarbonate of soda
1 egg
A little bran

q       Combine the wholewheat flour, self-raising flour, brown sugar, salt and cream of tartar and mix well.  Beat together the milk, sunflower oil, vinegar, bicarbonate of soda and egg.  Add to the flour mixture and mix well. Shape the dough into a ball.

q       Dredge the bottom of a pie plate with bran.  Place the ball of dough in it and press the ball a little to flatten it.  Mark it into 8 wedges with a sharp knife.

q       Place the plate on an inverted saucer in the microwave oven.  Microwave the bread for 12 minutes on 70% power, giving it a quarter turn to the right every 3 minutes if the microwave has no turntable.  Microwave for 1 minute on 100% power. 

q       Break the wedges apart and serve.


Back to top                           Contents




Letter from the Rector

Building Trust

Celebration of an Entente Cordiale

My Mission

Tshwane Place of Safety

A Visit to Tumelong


Children’s Ministry

Oasis Youth Group

Youth Camp Photos  

For Your Diary (Quiet Mornings)

Building Trust

Keep your promises

[No matter how tempted
you are to reveal all!]

Make sure people know
what you want from 

[No-one can read yourmind!] 

Show personal integrity

[Don’t gossip about others; 
they will think
you gossip behind their 
backs too!]

Show unconditional
regard for others

[People can’t all be like you; 
accept them for
who they are]

From the Diocese of Johannesburg

Tshwane Place of Safety

 Jeanette Birrell and a colleague started Tshwane Place of Safety for abandoned babies.  She came to tell the Belles and Swells Group about the organisation.  Jeanette arrived with the two babies she is presently looking after – Dineo (5 weeks) and Nikita (7 months).  Nikita was left in the back of a taxi at the age of 2 months and Dineo was found a day after she was born on the steps of the Reserve Bank by an employee.  It is obvious that Jeanette is passionate about her charity work despite the hard work and sacrifice involved.  Her two teenage children have to pitch in and help feeding and bathing when necessary.

 She told heartrending stories of abused and neglected children thrown away or taken by Social Services.  They have currently placed 60 babies and children, up to the age of 6, with 40 volunteer families.  These families offer their love and homes to foster the foundlings till adoptive families have been found.  This usually happens around 6-8 months.  We were amazed to hear that some families take up to 6 extra children to look after.  This involves many trips to hospitals as most of the children arrive malnourished and ill.  The financial burden alone means great sacrifice and dedication, as the Government subsidy is not enough for a month’s formula or nappies!  Families are screened carefully and are allowed to be quite specific about the age group they feel they can cope with.

 Jeanette said the amazing fact is that they have not yet been unable to place a baby or toddler within 24 hours of arrival.  There is such a need and I would like to encourage you to invite Jeanette to come to your group and spread the word about this organisation and the wonderful work they do.  The Aids Pandemic has far reaching consequences and perhaps in some small way we can get involved and support this very worthy cause!

Monique Winn

My Mission

From tomorrow on I will be sad.
From tomorrow on.
Not today. Today I will be glad.
And every day, no matter how bitter it may be
I shall say 
From tomorrow on I will be sad

Not today.

From a child in a Nazi Death Camp

A Visit to Tumelong

 In the context of the Fellowship of Vocation, I was invited to Shoshanguve to learn about what Tumelong does in Winterveld .

 Over the years I had often heard about Tumelong and supported it where possible, but what exactly was being done there had never really become clear to me. And without knowing exactly where to go, one does not venture into Shoshanguve or Winterveld to find it on one’s own. As it turned out, I would have been unable to find it, because Tumelong operates at several venues. With someone to guide the group I was part of, the visit became a real discovery tour.

 A number of people gathered at 9 am on a Saturday morning St Bede’s, Shoshanguve, where a funeral was already in progress. Our guide, Albert, took us first to the Loatse police station. Here Tumelong is involved in running a 24-hour crisis centre. One of the social workers, who is part of the team that runs the crisis centre, explained to us how this works. It operates from 2 barracks on the grounds of the police station, because the first place women who have been abused go to is the police station to lay charges. To have the crisis centre there is thus logical. The one building contains 4 beds, bath, toilet, fridge, etc and is used to house women and children who have left home after a domestic dispute. They can stay there for a few days until an alternative solution has been found, such as go to family elsewhere, mediation with the husband, etc. The second building is used as a meeting place for support groups, or where children, by means of play therapy, can be helped to tell what happened to them, etc. It was a place with brightly painted walls, beanbags to sit on, encouraging slogans on the walls, which had a very cosy feel about it.

 The 24-hour crisis centre is run by 6 women, who each take turns to be available after hours to assist whoever needs their help, mainly women, but also children, who are the victims of rape or domestic abuse. The task of the caregivers consists in informing the victims about what is involved in the laying of charges, what will happen at the hospital, where they need to go to be examined by the district surgeon, and then the caregiver accompanies the victim to the hospital, and waits there for as long as is necessary. It often takes up to 4 hours for someone to be seen by the district surgeon.

I was most impressed to hear that this kind of care is available, and that victims do not have to go through the aftermath of their harrowing experience alone. The team of caregivers are available even if it is in the middle of the night, and they will go to wherever they are needed in the area.

 From there we went to the Tumelong Hospice, which is quite a bit further along the maze of roads that crisscross the Winterveld. The hospice is located in a house, recently extended, and has a few large Wendy houses on the premises to accommodate administration and a chapel. Here the harsh reality of HIV/Aids stared us straight in the face, as 4 women and 3 men in their respective wards were being cared for in the final stage of the disease. Emaciated and with empty eyes they were basically waiting to die. A fourth man had passed away only an hour before we arrived. But in this place again, I was so impressed by the way the place is run and what care is given to the patients. Caregivers of the hospice also provide home-based care to 180 patients in the surrounding area, and the number is increasing. When patients can no longer be cared for at home, they are brought in to the hospice for terminal care, usually by hospice staff, and sometimes by their family. When we left the premises the undertaker’s vehicle was waiting outside to collect the deceased man.

 From the Hospice we went to the Tumelong Haven, located nearby. This is the place where Aids orphans are cared for, and it is housed in a building belonging to the Catholic Church. It was set up in conjunction with the Hospice, when it became clear that the people dying from Aids were leaving children behind, who needed care. The Haven functions as a crèche and pre-school. Older children go to the primary school in the area, but come to the Haven on Saturdays. There was creative work in progress with this group in one of the classrooms under the leadership of two Wits students. The children were making collages with pictures cut out of magazines on the theme: “My dreams for the future”. All the children also receive nutritious meals. Despite all the tragedy in these young lives, there were lots of happy and eager faces and a cheerful atmosphere prevailed.

 Our tour continued along the dusty and winding roads to the Tumelong Clinic. The clinic is no longer allowed to dispense medicine, so the nutrition program is now the main focus of its activities. Women go there to have their children weighed, and when these are underweight, the mothers are invited to attend teaching sessions about good nutrition. Here they learn how to start vegetable gardens. If people cannot even afford seed, they are provided with the necessary seed to get started. Women also can get instruction on how to breastfeed, and if they are HIV positive, formula is provided to prevent them from transmitting the disease to their babies. At the moment about 240 families are reached in this way.

 Our final stop was the Bokomoso Centre, in still another location. This is a guesthouse-cum-
conference centre, set up to help unemployed women make a living from catering for guests and functions, retreats, quiet days, etc. It also serves as a youth centre, where young people, from about 6 to 26, are kept off the streets, and are allowed to express themselves in dance and drama, and are also receiving instruction about the dangers of HIV/Aids.

 The Bokomoso group, which performed at St. Francis a while ago, is based here, and gave us a performance of their latest play ”It won’t happen to me”, while we had lunch. It was a very evocative play about the realities of HIV/Aids, and it was very well performed. They are hoping to go to Washington DC again in January next year for a series of performances, if enough sponsorship for flights can be found.

 It was really worthwhile to get such a comprehensive insight into what is being done by Tumelong. I was very impressed by it all. Even though there are people sick and dying, others are working really hard to help and to care where needed, and to prevent many from getting sick. It is all very practical and very much community based. There was a sense of dignity and of making the best use of the available knowledge and resources.

 I really want to encourage us all to keep supporting Tumelong to the best of our abilities, despite the fact that there no longer seems to be an annual fête, because in this way we can enable the carers there to keep on caring.

Anne Marie Smith

For Your Diary: Quiet Mornings 2005 

Saturdays 09:00– 12:30
At Christ Church Arcadia: Diocesan Centre of Spirituality



05 March 

Fr Raynard Shovell

23 April  

The Rev Meshack Mariri

28 May

Fr David Swanepoel & Mr Francis Ward

11 June 

The Rev June de Klerk

09 July 

Fr Timothy Lowes

13 August 

The Rev Patricia Ohlson

10 September 

Bishop Jo Seoka

29 October 

Mr Francis Ward

26 November 

Fr Allan Kannemeyer

No Quiet Morning in December 


Children’s Ministry

“Teacher….Teacher….can we pray for my doggie who died?”
“Yes, of course we can.  When did your doggie die?”  “Looonnnnngggggg ago.” 

 Hearing the heartfelt prayers of the children here at St Francis, and knowing that the children know that everything that is important to them is important to Jesus, is what makes the children’s ministry so special. 

 During 2004, the importance of Children’s Ministry in our Parishes came very much to the fore. Bishop Jo initiated a Children’s Ministry Board to look at the issues that are important to the children and those who minister to them. A number of Diocesan Discussion Groups were held, where the teachers themselves were able to raise and discuss things that applied to them and their situations. Out of these “Indabas” the board has started a two-year training programme, consisting of 8 days of training.

 These training sessions are held in each of the Archdeaconaries and facilitated by various members of the Board. The ultimate vision of this program is to have all the children’s ministry workers throughout the Diocese completely equipped for the task of leading the children to Jesus Christ. On completion of the necessary 8 training sessions they receive a Diocesan Certificate. 

 St Francis has been completely involved with this process from day one and our teachers have already had their 1st training session, which took place at the end of last year.

 One of the other functions of the Board is to look at setting standard guidelines for Confirmation Preparation. This came about because of some rather “dodgy” teaching in some of the Parishes. It is also felt that the Clergy should once again take control of those who are involved in Confirmation Preparation.

 Please continue to pray for the Children’s Ministry and Leaders, here at St Francis and throughout the Diocese.

Liz Horne

Oasis Youth Group

Camp 2004

“Hey!  Those kids are swimming in the river!  Aren’t there crocodiles nearby?!”

I overheard this comment last year while the youth were taking a quick cool-down swim in the river near the campsite in Watervalboven after the “King-Swing” adventures. (See the photos below.)

Every single camp has had its own unique features, and 2004’s camp was no different.  We had a bus driver “Oom Mel”, who became an honorary member of Oasis and was game for anything (except the King-Swing), a camp leader “Blikkies”, who kept us all entertained, and “Party Boy”, who will live forever in the memories of all who were present. 

As a continuation of the Ecumenical relationship, I co-opted Dave and Kirsty Fidler from Brooklyn Methodist to join us and lead some of the sessions. The Saturday afternoon chat about “So how did you know he was the one?” was a good time of bonding for the group, the girls especially.

The amount of prayer that went into the camp was incredible and we could see the results. The group was open to pray about anything and everything, including praying for Blikkies’ father who has heart problems.  The impact that those prayers made was only truly felt after we got back to Pretoria, when I received a very emotional call from his mother, who phoned to say that things were starting to improve.

Year-end function 2004

This was once again a fun-filled evening, including small fires and rain, and the photos will soon be on display in the barn – as soon as the renovations are finished.

This year

2005 is once again chock-a-block. The theme for the year is “Lord of the Rings”. The Biblical principles are wonderfully highlighted by the book.  Topics such as Mission, Christian Duty, Perseverance, etc are going to be looked at and discussed.

We have 5 confirmation candidates this year, I ask you to please pray for Cynid Badenhorst, Didi Makete, Dylan Smith, Jason le Roux and Kayleigh Hill, as they prepare for their confirmation on 6th November.

Our annual camp is taking place early in the second term (22-24 April), and this year it will be at Kloofwaters campsite in the Magaliesberg.

Please continue to pray for the young people of St. Francis. Your prayers are greatly appreciated and greatly needed.

Operation Botswana

Did you know that during the September school holidays this year a group of young people from St Francis and Brooklyn Methodist churches are going to Botswana for a weeklong outreach?? The 26th of February was our first official day of training and, judging by the hard work the team put into learning the “Step” dances, I know that this trip will be full of fun and a lot of hard work.

We are leaving South Africa on the 24th September and getting back on the 1st October.  We will be working with Rev. Tom Matonsi, in and around Francistown, to help spread the word and love of Jesus to the whole community, but especially the young people.

This is not something that just happened by chance. Much prayer went into discerning whether or not we should go on this mission and, more importantly, where we needed to go. God’s hand has been guiding the process from its inception, which was towards the end of last year.

Please pray for the whole team as we continue with our training, preparation and fundraising. If you’d like to know more, please feel free to contact me (at the Parish Office or on 082 342 5895) or David Fidler (Brooklyn Methodist) on 082 409 3000. 

God Bless you all, Liz

Please support Operation Botswana by attending the following:

Sunday 17th April 2005
Fundraiser @ The Performer
R150.00 per person
12:00 – Lunch
13:00 – Show

For Tickets and enquiries contact
Liz – 082 342 5895
012 346 1106/7


Back to top        Contents